Skip to main content

What Begins, Must End…


After three days of near continuous rain, today has dawned bright and glorious. The sun shines gently on the rain-washed, still dewy trees, and the birds sing a beautiful melody to welcome a brand new day. She sits on a rocker on the porch with a cup of coffee. In her lap is a book she has borrowed from the local library. But her mind is on the phone call she had with her daughter last night.

Her confident, independent daughter, who is far, far away in another country. Her daughter, a doctor, who, at almost seven months pregnant, worries all the time about her mother. Which is why the girl has arranged to have a landline connection and a Wi-Fi connection installed here and sent her a smartphone. ‘I want to be able to talk to you anytime I want,’ her daughter says; ‘face to face’.  

Krishna is not much used to technology. But their calls make her daughter worry less; and in her present state, she wants her daughter to worry as less as possible. For what it’s worth, her daughter has promised, for now, to come to stay here soon. And Krishna is looking forward to it.  

“Top of the morning to you!”

She looks up. He stands in his front yard, waving the newspaper at her. He must have just returned from his morning walk. She waves back.  

“Join me for breakfast” he says, pointing his chin towards his house from where warm, delicious smells of breakfast come wafting. She shakes her head.

“It is Chaturthi today,” she says. “I am fasting.”

He raises his eyebrows and walks over to the common fence that separates their front yards.

“Since when do you fast?” he asks, clearly surprised. She laughs. Back when he knew her, she was a headstrong girl who questioned all beliefs and traditions. And now….well, he is entitled to be surprised.

“Been a long time now,” she says.

“So, if you are fasting for Chaturthi, do you make sabudana vadas?” he asks, his eyes twinkling like a five year old.

She knows those are his favourite. Every time her mother made them when they were kids, she was the one who took a large plateful of the vadas next door for him and his sister. She grins.

“I had no plans…but if you want to drop in later, I could…”

“I will come over after lunch then!” he says immediately.



Ever since he has told her about the fateful day when Shivu drowned, she has been thinking; and has arrived at a conclusion that it was big of him to have owned up to something that was the result of nothing but fear. Any child in his place would have reacted similarly. But he has lived with the regret all this time. She understands the trust he has put in her by telling her about it. It couldn’t have been easy for him to own up.
She knows this because she discerns her own husband would never have owned up to something like this. He would never have said, even to himself, that it was his own fault. Instead, he would have found someone else to blame, and most times, that would be her. How different two men can be, she muses.

She is lost in thought when the doorbell rings.  He is early.

“Couldn’t wait?” she laughs, opening the door.

He stands there leaning heavily on his stick. And the look on his face worries her. She moves back to allow him to enter. There’s a marked difference in his mood from that of the morning.

“Are you alright?” she asks. “You look.…”

He sits heavily on the sofa, rests his walking stick next to him and sighs.

“I forgot,” he breathes. She can hear the remorse in his voice. “I cannot believe it. I forgot… I know I am getting forgetful with age. I know! But how could I….how could I forget….” he repeats.

“What did you forget?” she asks.

“It is my wife’s death anniversary today.”

She lets out a gasp. “I am so sorry,” she whispers.

She goes to sit next to him on the sofa and touches his arm softly. “I am really sorry.” She repeats. 
“You know, we don’t have to do this today. If you want privacy, I could make the vadas some other day…”

“Please don’t send me back,” he says, looking down at the floor, without meeting her eyes.

That settles it.

“I see you loved her very much,” she says. “You want to talk about it?”

“No.” he says with finality.

She can see it pains him to remember. She has heard the local gossip. She knows he came here after his wife succumbed to Cancer. She knows not to press him. So she continues to sit there, next to him, in silent solidarity. 

“You know, it is ironic.” She says, “You are sitting here, berating yourself about forgetting and I spend my days haranguing myself that I cannot forget.”

When he looks up, confused, angry; she pats his arm softly.

“As bad as Cancer can be,” she says, “it is a blessing to know you and your wife loved each other. To have had a marriage that flourished on your love. To have depended on each other when you could and have built something together.

“I know it couldn’t have been easy to let go when the time came. And I can understand it cannot be easy now, even after so much time has passed.

“But you know what? It is definitely better than having led a life, at the end of which, you have nothing to show for yourself. To have had a marriage that left you bereft of your dreams and aspirations. For all those years you lived as husband and wife to have not mattered at all….”

He looks at her then. “Krishna…”
She shakes her head. “You don’t know how lucky you are, Ananta,” she says, suddenly realising how familiarly and easily his name glides from her. “How lucky, to have had a wife whom you loved so much and who loved you right back. To revel in the knowledge that your children grew up in a house full of warmth.

“You didn’t scare your wife did you, Ananta? She never had to fear your wrath or count days till her child grew up and she could escape…

“I know what that feels like, Ananta. I know what it is like, to stay awake in the night, making plans of leaving everything behind, only to think of your daughter and know, that for her sake, you have to stay put. For her sake, you cannot leave the man who has made your life a living hell!

“A man, who ensures that he leaves no scars on your body. No. Nothing visible. But the emotional scars he leaves – they can never heal, Ananta. A man who bosses over you just because he can. A man who knows how much your daughter means to you and knows how to use that knowledge to scare you into submission. A man, who is a noted Professor of Psychology for the world; but who reserves his rotten, twisted psyche only for you!

“You are a good man Ananta. Your wife would have been as sad to leave you as you are now that she has left. But me? I would’ve given the world to be able to escape. And who knows, if it weren’t for my daughter, maybe I would even have….

“A terminal disease took your wife from you Ananta. But me, I survived in a relationship, the end of which, I dreamt of every night until I could really break free…”

“Krishna…” he manages in a choked voice.

She gives a mirthless laugh. “Ananta,” she says, “what begins, must end. That is the law of the nature. But what truly matters, is what happens between the beginning and the end. Because life, Ananta, is in the in between. Because life happens while we are busy reminiscing the beginning and fearing the end. And when we look back, that is what decides whether we will look back with a smile or be sad to have wasted it.

“You have lived a happy married life Ananta. You and your wife shared something special. That counts for a lot. And I am sure, she wouldn’t want you berating yourself for forgetting her anniversary today; but would have wanted you to remember her fondly, now that you have remembered the anniversary…”

“Krishna,” he says. “Please stop. You don’t know the half of it!” he says.

She blushes. “I am sorry. I thought maybe…”

“Oh, please, Krishna…listen to me…” he says fiercely. She opens her mouth to say something. Then shuts it again.

“I didn’t love my wife, Krishna.” He says more calmly. “And she knew that. Our marriage was more based on friendship than love.” He says. “I won’t lie. She was my best friend. But she wasn’t whom I loved.”

“She wasn’t?”

“No.”

This time, she finds it difficult to meet his eyes.  



Note: 
This is Part 3 of the story I am writing as part of WriteTribe’s October 2017 ProBlogger Challenge.
The story is presented as an ongoing series. You can check out the story so far in Part 1 and Part 2. And here's what happens in Part 4.  
And here's 
 



Comments

  1. Gosh Rashmi. I just loved it. Simply wow.. I could actually visualise the story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Swati :) Glad you like this.

      Delete
  2. Rashmi, please make them stay together. I couldn't bear it if they went their separate ways once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us Sulekkha :) Lets see where the story takes us though, eh?

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I started with Part 3! Off to read 1 and 2 immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Corinne! Thanks so much for visiting :) Means a lot to me. Hope you are liking what I am trying to do with the prompts...

      Delete
  4. So beautiful, Rashmi. You are a fantastic story teller. Though I feel I know where is this headed, reading the conversation Krishna and Ananta were having was a delight. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Parul! I am so happy you are liking this :) Do keep checking up if the story goes the way you envision it! Would love to know if it does...or doesn't ...

      Delete
  5. Wow. I can't wait to read more, Rashmi. I must say, you are an awesome story teller. I feel like I am reading a book from somewhere in the past, so familiar yet, unputdownable. I am waiting for a happy ending to this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the direction this story is taking. And completely in love with your narration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing for a happy ending. Just love the way you narrate the details

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anchal! Let's see where the story takes us :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is getting interesting with every post. So many questions! Looking forward to reading the next part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Reema! Look forward to delivering :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely narration! I am glad that she is breaking the pattern. I hope Krishna and Ananta get what they deserve. Eagerly waiting to read the next part. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vinitha! The prompts are really something in this challenge and I am really glad the story is falling in place the way it is. Let's see where it takes us next :)

      Delete
  10. This part 3 made me cry, Rashmi! I so hope the next parts bring along something happy...like keeping Krishna and Ananta together!
    BEAUTIFULLY DONE, Rashmi! I was speechless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....I am so happy you like the story so far Shilpa :) I really hope you like what comes next too!

      Delete
  11. What a fantastic story!!! So well written. And that cliff hanger at the end. I can hardly wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alice! Friday's post is something I am sure you are going to love then ;)

      Delete
  12. This is turning out to be a good story! Like the way you introduce the twist of the death anniversary, and how she smoothes over the awkwardness by offering comfort and then, another twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nupur. Glad you like the way this story is going :) As for the twists, yes, trying to keep it interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis