Skip to main content

As we bid adieu…

In the next three days, we will step into the New Year. Make a clean new beginning – bidding farewell to something old and familiar. I hate goodbyes. But then, I also love new beginnings! And what better than the fag end of the year to remind us of that?
And so I sit, lost in thought, at the dining room table, watching the sunlight stream through the bay window, the light catching shimmering threads in the sheer curtain that adorns the window, and has rarely ever been used in the past year. I need to use those curtains, I think. Draw them close at least once in the New Year. For that matter, I need to have a place of my own to work from too, not just end up at the dining table with my laptop – another thing to get done in the New Year.
But even as I think it, I know I will never use that curtain. It will just stay there, adorning the two ends of the window. Nor will I ever get organised in a single place that will be my ‘place of work’ in the house… because that is how I roll. That is exactly how I am. Not too organised, not too pragmatic. A spontaneous person, more likely to do something on an impulse, than because I planned it.
I am not one for ‘taking stock’ of the year that has just gone by. Nor am I someone to analyse what happened in this year, or what I learnt from it. Of course, I am not a total wacko who walks in the clouds, though. I do learn from my experiences. But I operate more on an abstract plane than the more practical, tangible one that most people operate on.
Someone else in my place, for example, would tell you that in this year, I had a lot of new experiences and met a lot of new people. And some old ones too, who I’d have rather preferred not to ever meet again. (I say this not because I hold any bitter sentiments in my heart about these people, but because on meeting them again, I realised that some people just don’t change. They are the same old jerks that they have always been. And that makes me feel good about having stayed away from them.)
Someone else in my place would also tell you that I did a lot of new things this year. Things that took me out of my comfort zone and made me realise that I am capable of more than what I thought I was. It is important to constantly keep testing your boundaries. And to try to better yourself at every possible opportunity.
Someone else in my place, would also tell you that I have understood that people can say a lot of things, but it is not what they say, but what they ‘mean to say’ that really matters. You need to keep your ears open to really ‘listen’ to what people are saying.
That friendships are as long lasting as the efforts you are willing to put in them. And that relationships, need work. Not everyone who says they are your friend, might really be your friend. While some may really be, there would also be others, who keep you closer so they can keep tabs on you. And that it is important to learn to identify such friends and distinguish them from the real ones.
That it is important to remember that ‘people are not permanent.’ And once you properly understand this it will make a big difference in the way you view things and experience them.
I am not the kind who thinks very practically, as I have already mentioned. But someone else in my place, would tell you that this year has taught me that it is important to be pragmatic about at least some things.
Because the world is made up of all kinds of people. Some, who think with their brains, others, who think with their heart. And while the world continues to work with all these kinds of people inhabiting it, it is the people who think with their heart that are more likely to be the ones to get hurt. That it is important to learn not to wear your heart on your sleeve.
If I were someone who kept tabs on things or rated my experiences or had been good at listing down things, I would have told you that it is the most important thing to be grateful for everything you have in life. Every little thing. It is always easier to identify what we lack, and what we cannot do, or do not possess. But it is very important to remember, that we are still way more fortunate than those who do not even have what we have. And that they are some, who look at us and think, if only….
This, in fact, is one of the most important learnings from this year that I take with me in the next. The realisation that ‘if only…’ is a myth – nothing but wishful thinking – denial, even (as some of my pragmatic friends might say). And I agree. Yes, we all do a lot of wishful thinking all the time. And while it is alright, we cannot close our eyes to the way things actually are. Even an impulsive, impractical person like me has realised this.
And finally, one thing that I definitely will not forget, that this year has taught me, is that it is important to recognise that everyone has a point of view and everyone wants to be heard. There are more people speaking than there are people listening. Sometimes, people are selfish. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes people pretend to be one thing but are actually something else. It is only them who know their motivations, but it is easy to presume that you understand their intent and get put off by it.
I know I am burning a lot of bridges, thinking this way, this year. In fact, as my best friend always reminds me, I am really ‘very good at burning bridges.’ But I say, it is what it is, and I am what I am. That it is very important to stick to one’s principles. After all, if I don’t stand up for myself, who else will? And if it means I burn a few bridges to make my point, well, I’ll be damned and take that chance.
So, as we bid adieu to this year, I step into the next, as impractical and as impulsive as ever – but wiser, nevertheless, and a little bit tougher (maybe); definitely having burnt a few bridges, while looking forward to building some new ones.


Pic Courtesy: Pixabay

Comments

  1. A new year with new possibilities to look forward to. Ring out the old, ring in the new! Here's wishing you lots of happy tidings with the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you continue to spin your magical stories and be your wonderfully creative self, in 2019, Rashmi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis