Skip to main content

One Stitch, One Breath, One Word at a time

 I taught myself to crochet recently. It was my ‘something new to learn to keep my brain active,’ which social media tells me everyone past their thirties should do, because that is when the rot starts. I had also read in Michelle Obama’s book The Light We Carry that she bought knitting needles at the beginning of the pandemic, and taught herself to knit while she dealt with the anxiety and the uncertainty caused by the pandemic outside her doors.

Inspired — and even though it had been a few years since the pandemic — I bought myself a pair of needles to deal with the dread and unease caused by the world, in general, outside my door. And I taught myself to knit, using YouTube videos very helpfully put up there by people teaching beginners how to knit. Then a few months in, I discovered crochet, found it even more interesting to use a single hook instead of the two required for knitting, and ordered myself some crochet needles and yarn on Amazon; and I haven’t looked back since!



It took me the better part of a year to become comfortable enough to crochet without constantly watching my fingers, and counting and recounting my stitches. And I spent hours putting together my stitches, then unravelling them, only to put them back on, and unravel them again. This unravelling of the stitches is called ‘frogging’ in crochet parlance because of the ‘rip it, rip it, rip it…’ that goes on in our minds when we are doing it. This went on for a very long time (sometimes, still does); and drove my family up the wall. It made them look at me like I was a deranged woman, seated a chair in the corner with my yarn cake and my wild hair, pulling out yarn that I had painstakingly put in some order for hours! While to me, it is all part of the quiet, relaxed process of crocheting.

Initially I was wont to take the help of my family to wind my yarn back up once I had completely unraveled my projects, only to start them all over again. They would ask me what in the world I was trying to achieve by this madness, and I could only tell them, ‘I am working on it’. You see, I never thought this was problematic. Because for me, it was all about getting the project right. It did not matter how many times I unraveled the stitches, because all the time that went into it, was going towards making the final project the best. The thought that I was ‘wasting’ my time frogging, never even entered my mind. What looked like hours of work wasted, to my family, actually felt like hours of work invested in the final outcome, to me. And that was how all my projects went, much to their annoyance. While I sat there, cool as a cucumber, working on my projects one patient stitch at a time.

Of course, as expected, this lead to a curious case of multiple half-done projects. We lovingly refer to them as WIP (Work in Progress) in crochet parlance; and there they would be, lying around all over the house. To me, they represented the many hours I could spend in my corner chair, quietly, lost in my own thoughts. But my family only saw them, mainly as mounting evidence of how I was slowly, but surely losing my sanity. There is that black pullover, for instance, that I started to crochet for my teen, and then faced several days when the colour black felt too dark to be around for the hours of crocheting it took. So I side-stepped it, in favour of a soft-beige and dove-grey stole that involves yarn that is not just snuggly and soft, but makes me feel loved and warm as I crochet it. I am ribbed about it all the time — the running joke in our home is that by the time I will be done with it, my teen’s teen will be able to wear it finally!

And I get the joke. I too laugh with them. You see, I know I will finish it someday. But until then, I need to do what I need to do to maintain my sanity, and to keep my mood buoyant. Don’t we all have something like that? Something that we do just for ourselves. Something that lets us keep going, because otherwise, suddenly, we are not the ones running things, but the ones getting run by things in our lives!

Which brings me to an interesting observation. (What can I say, crocheting allows me to spend a lot of time with myself without leaving too much time or space for distraction from counting the stitches, and keeping up with the pattern.) You see, I have come to see, that much of writing is very similar to crochet. I would even go so far as to say that what is true of crochet is true of writing too: unraveling, is as much a part of the process as much as creating. Completion, while extremely satisfying, is optional. There is always space for a terrible first draft, which can completely be written over — and in fact, is, multiple times, written over — to the extent that the final product looks nothing like what it did when it started out. It too, is a slow process. Subject to the whims and vagaries of the mind, the mood, the kind of day I am having, and most importantly, the colour I choose to work with on a given day. And yes, there is always that distant dream, of turning either of these hobbies into something I could make money from, but for now, let’s just stick to baby steps.



It is no surprise, to me then, that of all the hobbies in the world that I could have spent my time indulging in, I chose these two. Because the truth, I feel, is that life is not about the destination, but about the journey. So is crochet. So is writing. It is not about the final product, it never is. But about the process. If you enjoy the process, the unraveling (or editing in case of writing) is not time wasted, but time invested. The final product is a bonus happiness at the end of all this effort. While the real joy, is what happens during the process, one stitch, one word, one breath, at a time.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Break In The Pattern

The train stops. She looks around. It is a big station, large and open, nothing like the big city railway stations that she has seen. This station is surrounded by lush greenery as far as the eye can see. There is a chill in the air. And a sense of belonging. She breathes it in, deeply.  She walks towards the end of the platform to the foot-overbridge that will take her out of the station. A few taxis and auto rickshaws are lined up near the exit, and she hires one at random. The driver helps her stow her one bag near her feet, while she sits to one side of the wide seat, as if she is sharing space with someone. Because she is used to taking up only so much space – always in a corner, trying not to make her presence felt. Now as she thinks this, she moves a little towards the centre of the seat, as if to affirm to herself that she is now travelling all by herself, for the first time in her life. You wouldn’t really know it now, to look at her, but she is scared out of h...

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis...

Of life lessons and listening to one’s heart - Mrs. B speaks

Small pleasures matter in life. Really small, everyday pleasures. Like, being able to smell the garden in full bloom on a hot summer day, or being able to have a hot water bath in cold weather. Or even being able to drink a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Or, for that matter, being able to eat junk food to one’s heart’s content! Ah, bliss! Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you who haven’t met me before , myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Or better still – a homemaker. I work from home and generally spend time reading and surfing the internet when the kids and my husband are away for the day. I also cook and clean, and wash and iron clothes – but I guess all that is included in the title of “homemaker.” So no special mention needed. So, like I was saying, life is a sum total of small pleasures. And what I said about junk food, is absolutely true. Especially when you think of the cheeseburger. Or the veggie bur...