Skip to main content

To be 'Dad'.....

Father, Daughter, Child, Man, Hug



Once a carefree bird, I mended my ways  
For an angel who came to me and blessed all my days
She gave me so much, and she filled my heart
We've come a long way now, till here, from the start....
But now, I trust - I've given all I had;
For today, am a changed man - 'cause now, am a Dad!

To be 'Dad'...what is it to be Dad? 
From a carefree dude with not a care in the world; to a dad, with the tender heart and worry lines etched on the brow, 'Dad' has come a long way indeed!

It all began when I got my first taste of freedom - the financial independence and being able to tell my Mom, "Here, let me take care of this..."

But before I could enjoy the heady feeling of independence too much, my parents started talking about getting me married. Pampered and loved to bits by my family and friends, the thought of marriage made me feel like a goner! I'll lose my freedom now, will lose my sense of self. I will lose my friends, my hobbies, will have to answer for what I do, what I watch......I thought of all the adjustments and all the compromises that are but naturally expected. Thought I was done now, perhaps, this was all it was...

But I was in for a surprise, when she walked in my life. I learnt to think of someone else before me, and happily too, let me add. She became my new best friend, my sounding board, my ray of hope. I wanted to do things right for her. I wanted her to trust me, to miss me, to want me, to need me. She did all this; and then she did more. She taught me to care, to love, to be dependent from the very core. I learnt to lean on to her, and she leaned on me. Together we learned what all we could be.


I thought all was good. My life was set now. Then once again, she turned my world upside down. She gave me an angel, our bundle of joy! Then looked up to me with scared eyes, and then, smiled all coy. "We'll get this," I said, "don't you worry now. We've learnt a lot together, we'll learn some more now." I assured my love, all was going to be fine. This little angel is as much yours as she's mine. 

But I was in for a bigger surprise. As my little angel chose not to sleep at nights! All day I would see my sweetheart work herself to pieces. So nights I would let her sleep with a shower of soft kisses. I took up playing with my angel in the nights..... and that's when I got my precious, paternal delights! I had never known the male heart could become so tender, could love someone so much, could care.....Oh, how I would wonder! 

My angel's tender touch and her unbridled love, her affection - she's so trusting, so easy, so sweet, so innocent. She brings out in me all these wonderful emotions. I am scared for her, I worry about her, I am proud of her... I see her grow so fast right in front of my eyes....until one day I wonder and search to my delight....where in this beautiful young woman, my little angel lies? And then she gives me that look, that says, "Dad, I am right here! Your angel, your doll..." I smile at her and know I have to worry aplenty ........When did my little doll turn into a young woman, with such grace....such beauty! A sweetheart who can make men go weak in their knees, with one look - just one look- oh! she doesn't even tease...

Then comes the day when I am introduced to a friend. A 'friend' who I see, is 'more than a friend.' I know my sweet-pie wants my approval but how do I say yes? - Who is this guy? Why does he want to be with her? Does he make her happy? Will he keep her happy? My head swirls with questions unanswered. And then she looks at me with those big brown eyes....and all my doubts melt, I know, I just do..... 

That was so long ago, though I remember it still clearly. Now I see her living her life on her terms, deliberately...cleverly. And I think was she always this strong or did she take that from me? Well, I don't know that, but I do know this - she's given me far more than what I ever did. She taught me to love. She taught me to care. She taught me to dream, she taught me to hope. She taught me kindness and she taught me more. 

I look back today at all I have been...and I see a son, a brother, a friend. I see them all but what I like when I see, even more than the rest, is when my angel tells me "Daddy you are the best!"

That settles it then, no questions, no doubts.......I am a Dad.....for life.......nothing less, nothing more!

Image courtesy: Pixabay

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

Of life lessons and listening to one’s heart - Mrs. B speaks

Small pleasures matter in life. Really small, everyday pleasures. Like, being able to smell the garden in full bloom on a hot summer day, or being able to have a hot water bath in cold weather. Or even being able to drink a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Or, for that matter, being able to eat junk food to one’s heart’s content! Ah, bliss! Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you who haven’t met me before , myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Or better still – a homemaker. I work from home and generally spend time reading and surfing the internet when the kids and my husband are away for the day. I also cook and clean, and wash and iron clothes – but I guess all that is included in the title of “homemaker.” So no special mention needed. So, like I was saying, life is a sum total of small pleasures. And what I said about junk food, is absolutely true. Especially when you think of the cheeseburger. Or the veggie bur