Skip to main content

Two-Minute Indulgence - Mrs. B speaks


The wind blows my hair in my eyes as I struggle to put the washing out to dry. The weather has been treacherous lately. Sudden rains and thunderstorms, followed by hours of calm, strong sunshine; only to be caught unawares by strong winds that howl in the narrow passages and tear at the hoardings on the highways.

Oh, I almost forgot! Hello! Myself Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Homemaker, they call me these days. Not that it makes any difference to what I do. But it is a better title it seems.

Anyway, as I was saying, it is important to get all the washing done as early as possible, before the weather turns. And also because, once all the household chores are done, I can sit and concentrate on something that I actually enjoy doing! Like read, for example. Or maybe even get some creative work done. Some gardening. There are always bills to pay, of course. And when everything else fails to hold one’s interest, well, there is always Facebook!

Don’t get me wrong. I work too. I work from home, you see? So a certain number of hours are dedicated to work too, no matter what. And then there is always some rather interesting stuff happening on social media all the time.

Say, trending news, for instance! Now that is something I never fail to check out. What is everyone talking about? What has caught the interest of the nation, or even the world? What are celebrities up to? What are film stars up to?  Who is in love with who? Who is out of love with who? Which politicians are making outrageous statements? Which sportsmen are… uh… popular? What day is it today? (Not the day of the week, silly, I mean “International day of so and so…” that kind of day.) Is there some new campaign going on that I should know about? (No, no, I don’t intend to actually participate or anything. But it is always good to know.)

In any case, there is always a lot to do at home. To keep busy. I mean, when the kids, and the husband are at home, I am busy too, of course. But this busy, is the good kind of busy. Oh, did I forget to mention online shopping? Not actual shopping, silly! Online, window shopping! Yeah! Because really, who wants to pick that lovely painted copper bottle that costs a couple of thousand rupees, right? I mean, yes, it is a one-time investment, and it is good to use copper on an everyday basis…but still…and that super gorgeous one piece dress! Now that I wouldn’t mind paying a small fortune for…if only it was available in my size :(

So, where was I? Yes, the good kind of busy. Something that am sure many women, just like me, like to be. All women. Of any age, or ethnicity, or faith… just about all women enjoy being this good kind of busy.

And as part of this good kind of keeping busy, there are a lot of things to do. Earlier there used to be stitching or drawing or painting or embroidery, or making pickles and things like that. Now, there are other things to do (in addition to all the before mentioned activities, of course!) There are audio books to listen, there are many videos to watch and lot of news clips to see and read about. Many videos are inspiring. Some are funny. Many are useful. Some are annoying (especially the ones that make DIY stuff look cool and simple and easy; until you actually try it out!) And then there are some which are controversial.

Like the one I read about a few days back. About a certain scene from a certain recent movie, and how a certain actress who acted in the scene was trolled for it mercilessly. (I am quite adept at picking up juicy news, see?)

There were reports of people trolling this particular actress on Twitter and also making a lot of jokes (no surprise there) about this particular scene that she was involved in. And as happens many times when someone is singled out and trolled (not only on social media, in real life too…) she was left alone to defend herself.

There were articles written, memes circulated and jokes cracked. Some were against the trolling. Some enjoyed it. Some spoke against the scene. Some spoke against the trolling. Well, a lot happened in that particular ‘trending’ section. And I lapped up all the news and all the interesting titbits (like am sure many others did too).

What do you know! A supposed two minute indulgence – and a two week trolling episode! It is just amazing to see sometimes, how much free time people have on their hands! Hmm. Not to mention the fact that such things make for interesting reading. Not to mention putting ideas in people’s heads…

Anyway, so, just the other day, as part of this “keeping busy of the good kind,” I decided it was time to try out a ‘two minute indulgence’ of my own.

It didn’t seem all that difficult when I watched the video. And it felt kind of…promising….. like it would leave a good aftertaste…

And so I took two spoons of flour, two spoons of sugar, two spoonful of milk, one spoon of cocoa, one egg, one spoonful of vanilla essence; and I whisked them all together in a mug and put the mug in the microwave for two minutes. And after the two minutes, I was greeted with a brilliantly sinful aroma of my very own chocolate brownie. In a mug, no less! My very own two minute indulgence!
Well, let me tell you, it tasted awesome! Sinful. Indulgent. And it surely left a great aftertaste. What’s more, I paired it with strong black coffee! Ah, heavenly, I tell you! Lip-smacking!

You must try it too!

So, that was my two minute indulgence in my otherwise chaotic day. How about you? What is your two minute indulgence? What keeps you sane? Don’t forget to let me know in the comments, okay?

Okay, bye then!

Comments

  1. My my! I loved that brownie! 💟 Will try it out someday, once my oven gets a good servicing.

    My two minute indulgence? Umm .. Actually. All of my indulgences are the 2 hour kind. Two minutes are too short for an indulgence, I feel. So, I read, blog, catch a good movie on Netflix, go for a walk, or day dream! And, as you said, FB is always there, with its adorable animal videos, which I just love! And my Sudoku! 😅

    ReplyDelete
  2. My two my two minutes indulgence is definitely my cup of tea in the morning. That alone time does me wonders. Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... Being the housewife alas homemaker myself, I agree how busy we are during the day, of course in a good way 😊 The social media had a prominent role to play in this. Does it take only 2 minutes to make a brownie in the microwave? I should make it for evening snack for myself, after all I am the birthday girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot Chocolate is my 2 minute indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounded like my life.. starting the day with the biggest objective, monsoons will be here soon need to finish up all the big laundry. :) Very interesting writing. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis