Skip to main content

The Day I Had A Revelation!




It was a weekday evening. I was outdoors with my little one. The sun was shining down brightly on us. We were both happy to be out in the open after being cooped up in the house for over a week when the little one had had his exams, and I had been fighting deadlines; not to mention the cold we had both been battling the past ten days. And so it was, that breathing in the fresh early evening air, we were both looking forward to our time out in the open!

The little one had big plans of taking his bicycle for a spin. I was planning to take a good long walk on the greens around the apartment complex. He had his helmet and ipod on. I had my playlist ready on my phone. When we stepped out of the lift, we were greeted by the wonderful chirping of birds and a light breeze that was blowing just then. I took a big, deep breath. We bid each other goodbye, and my little one rode off on his bicycle in the direction opposite to the one I turned to, for my walk. All was right with the world! Or so I thought.

I had barely gone a few steps, not even halfway through my first found, when the little one caught up with me. This was expected, as he obviously rode much faster than I walked. And so I wasn’t all that bothered when I saw him waving at me from a distance. It was only when I came nearer that I saw his face and realised all wasn’t right.

I saw that he had taken off his helmet and was walking towards me sadly. On checking, I found that the chain on his bike had come off. He couldn’t ride it anymore. My first reaction was, obviously, to see if I could help with the chain. And I would have too, if it had been a cycle similar to the ones I rode in my childhood. The simple ones. But this bicycle belonged to the child of the present generation. A bike that was more ‘cool’ than ‘simple.’ A bike that was as complex as the kids riding it. A bike, basically, that needed to be taken to the cycle repair shop for something as minor as replacing the chain on the grooves! Obviously, given the area we live in, that would be a job for the weekend. Which meant, that we were stuck now with a bike that wouldn’t roll. 

I let the little one know that I was sorry, but there was nothing more I could do. His face fell, as expected. But the very next moment, displaying a positivity that only children of his age possess, he immediately asked me if he could park his bike and do something else instead. I was glad he had asked that, too! You see, even I wasn’t keen on letting this rare good weather and free time outdoors go to waste by having to return to our flat upstairs – to be cooped up on a higher floor like a bird in its nest! So I gladly sent him off on his way; and decided to continue on my walk.

Barely a little time would’ve passed – I hadn’t even now completed my round around the complex – when the little one once again intercepted me. Turned out, most of his friends’ exams weren’t yet done, and not many kids were down at that time. Also, now that his bike was of no use, the little one had no one and nothing else to play with!

And so it was, that he asked me if I would play badminton with him.

Yes, every mother’s dream. Playing with her child. And he had been kind enough to offer to play my favourite game too!

I know, I should’ve leapt at the offer! Kissed him square on the forehead and ran off to get the racquets and the shuttlecock that we keep in the boot of my car for just this kind of emergency! I know.

But I hesitated.

Here I was, out in the open, with a bit of free time on my hands and I was looking forward to taking the walk – the exercise I had so badly missed, not to mention I was keen on that playlist I had so painstakingly compiled. And here was my progeny, threatening to take that pleasure away from me! Oh, the injustice of it all! 

I almost told him to find something else to do. Go looking for friends. Although, I have no clue where he would've gone to find them, since no one was there anyway! But then, just in time, thankfully, I caught myself. I smiled up at him; and agreed to play badminton.

His face lit up! He took the car keys and ran to fetch the racquets and the shuttlecock. I took off my headphones and continued behind him. We caught up near the badminton court, where he handed me my racquet that he had already taken out of its sleeve. And for the next hour, I had the best exercise I had had any time in the near past, not to mention the awesome time I had with the young one, who was trying to beat me every chance he got! What’s more, I beat him big time too! (As is usual.) By the time we ended the game, the heir was swearing a revenge on the mater and everything was truly right with the world!

I had a sudden epiphany that day. It would’ve been really easy for me to refuse to play with him and be on my walk. No matter I would’ve gotten a good exercise off that walk too. But that would have meant two things. One, I would’ve broken his heart. And two, I wouldn’t have gotten this amazing time that I actually got with my little one. Not to mention, the exercise did way more good for me compared to what the walk would’ve done.

It did occur to me, that as a parent, this would’ve been a good opportunity for me to teach my child the art of learning to spend time on his own. But then I dismissed the thought as soon as it had occurred to me. Because, you see, I realised that I am working on borrowed time here.  

I will be his priority and his chosen playmate, only for so long. There will soon be a time when the tables will be turned. When I will be behind him, asking him to spend more time with me, but he will have other things on his mind. As a parent, as his mother, this is the best time I have got; and that too, is pitifully short.

As I said, I am glad I made the decision to spend the time with him. And I remind that to myself every time I have a choice between spending time with my little one and spending time on work or any other activity that I have planned for myself.


Comments

  1. Well said Rashmi. We are often faced with such choices. Glad you chose right. In no time these kids will move away and we would yearn for their company and realize what we missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as the Mom if a grown child, your decision was indeed wise. This will be a memory to cherish.

      Delete
  2. This was lovely to read. And while it maybe the harder decision to take especially when there was a more leisurely option, im glad you chose this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely!
    I, too, give my walk, my me-time utmost importance. But when (i don't have kids, but hubby sometimes needs me by his side!) hubby asks me to spend time with him, I just grab the chance! Spending time with our loved ones is as precious as a gem. And, with Time doing its usual tick-tock and trying to rush off, we need to grab it with both hands at moments like these!

    It felt so good reading you after so long! I missed reading a post of yours, didn't I? Sorry! <3 Will catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

Of life lessons and listening to one’s heart - Mrs. B speaks

Small pleasures matter in life. Really small, everyday pleasures. Like, being able to smell the garden in full bloom on a hot summer day, or being able to have a hot water bath in cold weather. Or even being able to drink a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Or, for that matter, being able to eat junk food to one’s heart’s content! Ah, bliss! Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you who haven’t met me before , myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Or better still – a homemaker. I work from home and generally spend time reading and surfing the internet when the kids and my husband are away for the day. I also cook and clean, and wash and iron clothes – but I guess all that is included in the title of “homemaker.” So no special mention needed. So, like I was saying, life is a sum total of small pleasures. And what I said about junk food, is absolutely true. Especially when you think of the cheeseburger. Or the veggie bur