Skip to main content

Riding a dream…



Krishna looks in the mirror and almost doesn’t recognise herself.

A beautiful lady in her fifties in a plain grey silk saree stares back at her. She wears a string of pearls and matching pearl earrings. A radiant smile completes the picture; her favourite frozen ittar, dabbed just so on the underside of her wrists, leaving a beautiful fragrance around her.

As she goes around the house switching off lights in the rooms and dimming the lights in the living room, she remembers the last time she got all dressed up – her daughter’s wedding day. Like that day, today too, her saree is new – a gift that arrived from her daughter this week as an apology for not being able to come down to visit her as promised. And while that hurts really badly, she cannot help but enjoy the rustle of the silk as it swishes around her when she walks.   

Krishna has never been conventionally beautiful. And yet, she has always been attractive in a quiet, unpretentious way. And today, she hopes she isn’t overdoing it, while at the same time, wanting to go the distance, get all decked up and go all out!




“Whoa! Look at you! You look amazing! Turn around, let me see you completely…turn!” her daughter is beside herself.

Krishna is on one of her regular calls with her daughter on Skype. And even though she gets teary eyed every single time she talks to her daughter, today she is all the more sad because now she doesn’t really know how long she will have to wait to see her daughter.

“Oh come on,” she retorts in mock anger. “You know how this saree looks. You sent it to me, remember? As if a saree is going to make up for you not coming to visit…”

“Ma….please. We talked about this. I told you, I have been advised not to travel now…” her daughter says, pointing at her almost-seven-months-pregnant-self.

“Yes, that I can understand. Which is why I kept telling you not to leave it for so long…”

“Ma...” her daughter retorts, exasperated.

“Don’t you ‘Ma’ me now. Really, what do I have to do to get you to visit me here? Huh?”
Krishna dabs at her eyes gingerly.

“Ma, please stop. You will ruin your face and your saree if you cry!”

But that only gets Krishna crying more.

“Oh come on, Ma!” her daughter finally says. “Here I am, telling you, you are looking beautiful and you are crying!

“By the way, why are you dressed up at this time in the evening anyway? It is surely not to show me how you look in the saree…” she asks, cleverly changing the subject.

Krishna feels herself going red in the face.

“Oh nothing,” she says. “I am going to a play! It’s been ages, you know; and one is in town this weekend. So I thought, maybe I could…”

“Who are you going with?”

“Ummm….my neighbour…”

Her daughter narrows her eyes. “Your neighbour…? Your landlord! That Mr. Desai?” she asks incredulous.

“Yes, him….Mr. Des…Actually it was Ananta who asked; and well, I thought….it has been a long time…”

“Of course! So, who else is coming with you guys?”

“No one. Just me and Ananta…”

Ananta?” her daughter has her eyebrows raised now and is looking at Krishna with her huge brown eyes.

Krishna goes silent.

Is she doing the right thing, she wonders suddenly. Her daughter doesn’t seem to be taking this as nonchalantly as she herself is. Was it wrong of her to have agreed to go out with Ananta? Was it selfish of her to want to go and see the play …But, doesn’t everyone deserve to be happy in life? And do whatever makes them happy?

“Ma? Ma!” her daughter waves at her on the screen, bringing her out of her reverie.

“Ma, what’s going on?”

Shona,” Krishna says, evoking her daughter’s childhood nickname. “Ananta…my neighbour…is my childhood friend. He has settled down here now, after he retired. When you mentioned a Mr. Desai as my landlord with whom you negotiated my rental, I never realised it was Ananta you were talking about.

Shona, we have grown up together, Ananta and I. And now, when we are both on our own, at this age …well…we have found solace in each other’s company. And when the play came to town, he just asked if I would like to go. And I had been….for so long… I don’t know Shona… I said yes… I wanted to go see the play.

I am ….so lonely sometimes….but when Ananta is around, it is like…my childhood is back. The carefree time – when I was really happy is back.
Do you think I am doing something wrong Shona? Do you think, maybe, it is not right for me, at this age…..Do you…do you think this is… I mean, I know this isn’t normal, this isn’t routine, but…. do you think this is…defying some rules? You think this is disobedience to the norms of the society… do you…do you… ”

Ma... ,“ her daughter interrupts. “Ma, listen to me. I think it is the best thing you are doing for yourself – allowing yourself to be happy. I am sorry if I asked too many questions. I think, you should really go watch this play. You deserve to be happy, Ma. And only you can decide what makes you happy. No norms, no rules. You decide what is normal, Ma. And disobedience to what?!”
Krishna feels so proud of her daughter right now. She nods tearfully. She must have raised her daughter right, after all. 

“And Ma, please convey my regards to Mr. Desai.” Her daughter now says in a teasing tone. “I am really grateful to him for making you so happy!”

A sob escapes Krishna as she tries not to laugh at the way her daughter says this last bit.




She is in the process of shutting down the laptop, still thinking of her daughter, when Krishna hears the screen door open.

She turns around slowly to see him standing in the doorway, resplendent in formal attire. He too has made an effort at dressing up. He too looks happy to be here, taking her out.

When he smiles at her, his eyes twinkling, crow’s feet appear at the corners of his eyes. For a moment, Krishna forgets everything else looking in those eyes. But then he sees her face, and he frowns.

“What happened? Is everything alright?”

“Yes,” Krishna dabs at her eyes. “Yes. Everything is fine,” she says. And walks past him to keep the 
laptop in place.

“You clean up well,” she says as she turns back to him.

He shrugs. And smiles then, relieved that Krishna is back in good humour.




As they sit in the second row at the theatre, Krishna breathes in the mingled scent of leather seats and fresh flowers from the garlands that adorn the front of the stage. She looks at all the beautifully dressed men and women walking around, looking for their seats, greeting acquaintances, filing through the aisles to settle in before the First Act begins.  

Ananta touches her arm softly from the seat next to hers. When she turns around, she finds his face very close to hers. He hands her a single, red rose as he whispers in her ear, “Thank you for coming today.”

She smiles. Looks up at him. “Thank you for bringing me,” she says.

As the lights dim, and they hold each other’s gaze, Krishna thinks she would just melt with happiness right now. She hopes it is not all a dream, and wishes, that if it is, then she never wakes up from it. She is still reeling when his arm seeks hers out and before either of them realise it, she finds her head resting on his shoulder, his hand clasping hers, tightly.   





Note: 
This is Part 5 of the story I am writing as part of WriteTribe’s October 2017 ProBlogger Challenge.
The story is presented as an ongoing series. 
You can check out the story so far in Part 1Part 2Part 3 and Part 4. And here's what happens in Part 6.    

Comments

  1. This was a heartwarming story. I loved the way you have infused details in the description. Every one deserves to be happy, age no bar. I'm glad she found her companion for her old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vinodini :) Glad you like the story. Yes, ideally it should be like that - everyone should be happy, age no bar.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Daughter understands her mom well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is was such a lovely chapter. I loved how the daughter understood her mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reema. What is life if one cannot understand ones own parents, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I like the way things are finally progressing :) It is so heartening to read how your characters interact with each other, especially the daughter and her mother. It is important for our kids to realize their parents are normal too and need companionship after a divorce or death of a spouse. Krishna and Anantha are childhood friends whoa re rediscovering their bond later in life, good for them. Loving where you are taking us with them for a happy and fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback, Sulekkha :) It is, indeed important to understand ones parents...As for the story, well, let us see where it takes us next!

      Delete
  5. I wanted to step in through the Skype session and hug that daughter. Isn't it strange how she wants her daughter's approval, while it has always been the other way round? Life certainly comes full circle. I love the way this is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tulika. Yes, life does come a full circle. And a mother as much needs her daughter's approval as much as the daughter needs the mother's. I guess, beyond a point, more than the relationship, what matters is the kind of warmth and trust and openness that exists in a relationship. It could be a mother and a daughter, and they could be the best of friends!

      Delete
  6. Aww! That was so nice. Such an understanding daughter! Krishna sure raised her daughter right. I am loving the love spell between Ananta and Krishna. Lovely, Rashmi. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vinitha. Yes, it helps when kids grow up mature and understanding. We all know parents need to become their kids' friends after the children get to a certain age. But it really helps and feels great when children reciprocate too.

      Delete
  7. I just loved the daughter.... and the last scene....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nidhi. Yes, both these brought out the much needed warmth in the story. :)

      Delete
  8. That was so sweet of her daughter to be so understanding! I had tears in my eyes as I read the interaction between mother and daughter. And, then felt so warm while reading about Ananta and Krishna feeling the love for each other.
    Why did you have to stop here? You should have narrated some more na, Rashni! I have become addicted to your story!BEAUTIFUL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shilpa! It is great when children return the warmth they have received from parents, isn't it? And as for Krishna and Ananta, it is high time they get their due. As for stopping, no matter how much we want things to last forever...there are some things that just have to come to an end... Thank you for taking the time and reading and giving me your lovely feedback. Hope you like where the story takes us next :)

      Delete
  9. No words there Rashmi! You have woven a perfect story there - the hesitant mother, the broad minded daughter, a responsible friend and above all happiness. Absolutely loved today’s post for it happy Diwali kind of tale :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and your lovely comment Parul! And about the Happy Diwali, well, what can I say... the situation just demands it! Hope you do like what comes ahead, though :)

      Delete
  10. Nice. Story is flowing well. Glad the daughter is supportive. Conflict is mostly internal here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! As happens mostly in life, conflict is indeed internal here. So far... :) Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis