Skip to main content

Of Nepotism, Dreams and Parenting – Mrs. B Speaks



What is wrong with people these days? I don’t get it! I mean, this Mrs. Dixit! Uff! What is it to her if a certain desi girl marries a foreigner younger than her? To hear Mrs. Dixit speak, you would think it is not this daddy’s li’l girl, but her own daughter who has decided to get hitched to a singer….

Oh, pardon me, I haven’t introduced myself… How daft of me! Myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi…. Mrs. B, you remember? We have met before! In fact, we have met not once, but twice, I believe….

So, let me tell you from the beginning what happened. Today, after the school bus left, I was taking my usual rounds around the building, when my neighbour Mrs. Dixit joined me. I was listening to songs on my phone, and really was not very happy with the interruption. But then, living in the same building, sharing space on the same floor, even sharing the same maid – there is nothing I could do, but endure. And endure I did.

So as we walked, we struck up a conversation. After listening for a good ten minutes about the futility of Mr. Dixit’s existence in Mrs. Dixit’s life, I began mentally planning my day and almost completely forgot that the lady was walking next to me. I was done with most of the day and was now mentally checking my fridge for what I could make for dinner, when I thought I heard her mention something that caught my attention.

“I am sorry, what?” I asked.

“Didn’t you read it on Facebook?” she asked me, incredulous.

“Read what?”

“That she is all set to marry this singer who is ten years younger than her!!”

By now I had collected my wits enough not to ask her who she meant. But still, curiosity got the better of me.

“So?” I asked, “Let her marry. What is it to us?” (Read, what is your problem?)

“What do you mean what is it to us? Such a big age gap! Isn’t it weird?” she actually stopped in her tracks and asked me.

I had moved a couple of steps ahead by now. So I came back to where she stood, motioning her to continue walking, and said, “So what if it is a big age gap? Didn’t our ancestors marry really young girls at one point in time? Well, now the tide is just slowly changing, is all…”

I must have said something wrong, surely; because the next thing I know, Mrs. Dixit took off as if she was participating in a fast walking race!

Oops! Mrs. Dixit was quite young when she had married the much older Mr. Dixit! *Facepalm* Sighing, I followed. “Oh, leave it na,” I said, trying to make peace; “let it be. It is her decision, what can we do?” That had no effect on her, of course, and she continued to walk briskly ahead of me.

I caught up with her, almost at a run now, and offered an olive branch. “Anyway, you tell me, what other news did you read on your Facebook?”

That slowed her down.

You see, our Mrs. Dixit, she is a good lady. With her children grown and having flown the nest, she is a relatively new entrant on the social media; and she has taken to this social circus…I mean circuit… like a duck to water! She enjoys spending time on social media – forwarding messages on WhatsApp (as received), when she is not stalking her children on Facebook. It has helped alleviate her loneliness, and she really does get lonely, seeing as Mr. Dixit is always found in Mr. Gomes’ flat playing carrom at almost all hours, now that Mrs. Gomes has passed away. (Really, the man seems to have gone back to his bachelor days! It is almost as if he goes home only to eat and sleep…and maybe bathe, but I have my doubts… anyway)

“Are you listening?”

Here we go again! “I am sorry, I was thinking something…”

“Of course you were!”

“Sorry, you were saying..?”

“Did you see your favourite actor’s announcement today? “Holding her in my hands…”” she said, making quotation marks in the air and meaningfully looking at me.
I knew I was supposed to know this. I knew I was…. Oh, my goodness! She was talking about the news!!

“Oh, yes, yes,” I nodded. “I saw that…”

“Don’t you think she is still too young?” Mrs. Dixit asked.

“Well, they are usually all….” I began. But Mrs. Dixit wasn’t really listening.

“Why would he let his daughter get out so soon, I don’t understand!” she went on. “I mean, he is from the same industry. Doesn’t he know what all goes on there? Why would he still let her go through all of it?”

“Now, now, Mrs. Dixit,” I said, “the girl insists, from what I read about her. And she is also a theatre enthusiast. A very well-known yesteryear actress has in fact, recently, even praised this girl’s acting prowess… So anyway what can a father to do in this case? A girl wants what she wants…”

“Oh come on, it is not like she is asking for a puppy, is it?” Mrs. Dixit huffed. “You know what I feel? It should’ve been that farmer’s daughter on the cover. The one who won the Gold medal for our country recently? But no one will put her on the cover! They will put this girl, instead!”
I wanted, with all my heart, to tell Mrs. Dixit that what she said about the farmer’s daughter – the nation’s pride – was true; but the fact couldn’t be ignored that this was a fashion magazine, we were talking about. And that for it to sell, it needed fashionistas like this girl… 

However, we had finished our rounds by now, and it was time to bid Mrs. Dixit adieu.



Now I am safely back home and checking my own Facebook for news, as I have my breakfast. And guess what, my timeline has so many people talking about this very same news!
Honestly, I don’t understand why people are surprised. It was going to happen anyway, sooner or later. I also don’t understand why they keep harping on big words like nepotism and preferential treatment. I mean, yes, star kids do have an easy entry, granted; but then merely gaining an entry isn’t enough. It is also important that they do need to have some real talent to actually sustain.   

I also read a tweet by someone saying 'trust these star kids to trample on our dreams...' I don't get it. You either dream or you don't. And if you do, you believe in your dreams. You trust them to work out. And work towards realising them. Someone else doing something...how is that trampling on your dreams? 

What’s more, I really find it funny that people talk of nepotism like they are immune to it themselves. I mean, don’t most of the very same people put pictures of their own children on social media for their friends to ooh and aah over them? Don’t they do everything in their power, as parents, to give the best they possibly can, to their own children? So how is this super star any different? Isn’t he a father too? Doesn’t he feel the pressure too?

Okay, I know he is my favourite, and this may seem biased. But it is not so. So many people like him. So many don’t. His popularity, as far as I am concerned, has got nothing to do with his acting prowess or his looks. It’s just him being him. And yes, it is also the character he portrays when he plays, on screen, the man women want to see.

But that is not really, why I feel this incident is nothing to write home about. If it were anyone else in his place, I would’ve felt the same. Because all I see here, is a father trying to give the best he possibly can give to his child, nothing more. A child, who insists on wanting something. Something the child has grown up seeing as a way of life. Something the father can afford to give, having worked so hard to be able to do it.  

*Sigh* of course, while the best we can do for our children is save every penny and make it available for their future studies (?); this actor using his position and considerable influence to pave the way for his child, does suck, maybe. But I feel, what is so wrong in cutting him some slack?

Then again. If we start letting all these things go, what will Mrs. Dixit and I have to discuss about on our morning walk? And when my children refuse to study and spend hours in front of the mirror, grooming; how would I be able to say, “Enough spending time in front of the mirror! You are not going for a photo shoot for a fashion magazine! Nor does your father have the kind of influence it takes to make that happen. So till your picture appears in a trending magazine, you better spend your time with your books, more than your looks!”



Pic courtesy Freepik.com 

Comments

  1. My mother is pretty much Mrs Dixit in this scenario :)

    But yes, I do believe nepotism exists in Bollywood but then again, in any industry and at many levels, people do use influence to get their kids to the best position so there is a huge level of hypocrisy involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed views about this thing. Again your narrative was spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nepotism is a word that didn't seem to exist till Kangana made it an issue! :P I myself was ignorant about it. And, now your Mrs. Dixit has brought it back in the news!

    By the way, what is this all about? Is it about SRK's beti posing on Vogue Shogue? :P DO enlighten!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis